Saturday 5 August 2017

Northumberland Birding

After two weeks at cadet camp, it was great to get my binoculars back around my neck and the camera in my hands. Since Presqu'ile Provincial Park was on the way back home, we stopped there for a few hours of birding.

But not before stopping at McDonald's, where we were rewarded with an Osprey.


When we got to the park, we were met with off-and-on rain, flooding (many closures), and mosquitos. Not the most fun conditions, but you just have to deal with it! Owen Point trail looked like this in some sections.


At one point, a C-177 Globemaster flew over. I was lucky enough to be one of the chosen cadets to go up in this plane. The one pictured here is the exact one that I went up in.


This Cherry-faced Meadowhawk was cooperative, however the angle it was perching at was not the best for photos.


There were a few Summer Azures flying around, along with Painted Ladies, Viceroys, and Monarchs (which I will start tagging soon).

Summer Azure

Numerous birds were fliting about, such as chickadees, woodpeckers, robins, Eastern Kingbirds, and a Brown Thrasher.

Black-capped Chickadee

Pileated Woodpecker

Along the shoreline, gulls and terns were quite numerous.


Caspian Tern

This Bonaparte's Gull got me a bit excited when I first saw it from a far. Upon closer inspection I couldn't turn it into a Franklin's Gull.


Shorebirds were hard to find, but I did eventually find a nice little pocket of seven species. Least Sandpipers (note the diagnostic yellow legs) were the most numerous, followed by Semipalmated Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, Baird's Sandpipers, and singles of Black-bellied Plover, Spotted Sandpiper, and Sanderling.

Least Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper

Semipalmated Plover

Double-crested Cormorants were everywhere, as they nest on Gull Island.


The Marsh Boardwalk was closed due to flooding, but from the observation tower we saw a Great Egret and heard a few Marsh Wrens.

Great Egret

We finished off the day at the lighthouse. By this point the weather was turning quite bad.


Double-crested Cormorant

Considering the conditions it was a pretty good outing, and I recorded 47 species. I can only imagine what the park is like during peak migration (it is still a little bit early for a major influx of shorebirds).

On the way home we stopped at the Big Apple. I found this sign a bit funny.


I'm sure it will be a busy next few weeks as I try to get in as much birding as I can before school starts up again. Fall migration has just begun!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Quinten! Glad that you are back to "birding"...your passion!
    I enjoy reading your posts. What an amazing experience to have flown in the Globemaster! Take care...😀

    ReplyDelete