Sunday 7 August 2016

A Moment in Mitchell


I felt like going to the West Perth Wetlands in Mitchell, so that's what I did yesterday afternoon.

When I got there, I was surprised to see that it was very dry. Last year this area was covered in water.

I saw a Green-winged Teal in this area last year.

Shorebirds weren't around in as large numbers like last year, aside from the Killdeer and Lesser Yellowlegs.


Last year's eBird checklist: August 25, 2015

Yesterday's eBird checklist: August 6, 2016

Interestedly, I saw the same shorebird species as last year, despite the lower water levels.


Lesser Yellowlegs outnumbered the larger Greater 6 to 1.



Killdeer were the second most numerous shorebird.



I managed to find a juvenile with it's parent.


Semi-palmated Plovers look sort of like small Killdeer. I saw a total of four.


Comparison of the two species...Killdeer on the right and Semi-palmated on the left.


Least Sandpipers were the most common peep (a small shorebird). A couple Pectoral and Semi-palmated Sandpipers could be found with them.



Similar to the yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpipers were around as well.


Butterflies included Orange Sulphurs, Cabbage Whites, Black Swallowtails, and Monarchs.


I didn't focus too much on botany, but here's some Chicory!


Other birds included Goldfinch, Northern Flicker, Wood Duck, and Green-winged Teal.


I can't wait for shorebird migration to really pick-up!


2 comments:

  1. I stopped in Sunday afternoon and thought it was pretty good. Of course the first cell is almost dried up, but the far back cell was good as well as the one beside the fenced-in pond. Usually there is too much water in the far back cell, but it is just right this year. West Perth is probably the best place around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to see that the fenced in cell had water in it, as last year it was completely dry. I have to agree that West Perth is awesome, no matter the water level!

    ReplyDelete